Wind And Hail Damaged Roofs
Receive a FREE Roofing Consultation
Can I tell if my roof has been damaged by hail and wind from the ground?
No, a close inspection of the shingles must be made from the roof by a professional Roofing Company.
If I think I have roof damage what should I do?
- Call Bluebird Roofing (615-758-9101) to help you get a roofing company that specializes in this area. You’re looking for a Roofing Company that works with you and your adjuster to ensure that your roof is safe. Bluebird Roofing documents their findings with the homeowner and the insurance company thoroughly with digital pictures so the homeowner can see what is on their roof, because most homeowners have never been on their roof.
The insurance company will evaluate two things:
- Was there actual roof hail damage?
- Is there enough damage to consider it a total loss, or does it simply need roof repair?
What is the best way to conduct an inspection by your insurance carrier? A roof must be physically inspected by a person who has training and experience to determine if there is actual hail or wind damage. Insurance inspectors have special training to learn how to identify a hail damaged roof. The best results for an inspection comes from having an experienced professional contractor/roofer walk the roof with your insurance adjuster to point out any damage that they have seen. This allows both parties to understand the status of the roof and the claim. Bluebird Roofing knows how to pinpoint issues that are overlooked on these inspections, and in most cases they are covered by your insurance company. Bluebird Roofing takes pride in assisting our clients with our skill to help them receive everything they are entitled to within their policy. We have helped many clients, even when they have been turned down by the initial inspection.
What does hail hit look like?
A hail hit on a shingle looks like a dark spot where the tiny granules on the shingle have been knocked off. Sometimes this causes the asphalt underneath and even the fiberglass mat to be exposed. Over time, once exposed to weather, these shiny spots will become a dull color. This roof damage will worsen with time and eventually may cause the roof to leak.
Even if your roof only has minimal damage, you have a valid insurance claim should be filed with your insurance carrier. While the damage may not cause your roof to leak for years, it is critical to have someone who is qualified inspect your roof. A good roof inspection takes time and a keen eye to make sure we address every single issue so that you have a safe roof. An experienced licensed Roofing Company are the only ones that can confirm whether you need a new roof after you have had the damage. At Bluebird Roofing, we work for the homeowner to assist in this transition that can sometimes be difficult.
Why is it important to have your roof inspected for roof hail damage?
Hail damages the shingles on the roof, which can allow the asphalt under the shingles to be exposed and creates the risk of leaking. The asphalt layer waterproofs the roof and protects your home from leaks. Once the shingles are damaged, the shingles can dry out and age quicker and there is an increased exposure to leaks.
- Hail damage accelerates shingle aging
- Leads to other damages
Why would you need to replace your roof and why would your insurance cover it?
You have insurance to protect you from losses against your property due to damage that is out of your control. Hail damage and wind damage roofs falls into this category, and since it affects the useful life of your roof, this is considered to be a financial loss to your property from an insurance standpoint.
- Some insurance companies call the amount that they hold back for different things. This is the amount of money that they hold back until they receive a signed contract from you and a licensed contractor for the work. When they receive a signed contract, you will receive another check for the amount they have held back.
- While hail damage may not pose an immediate problem to the structure of your roof, many insurance companies have a limited time frame for how long a hail claim is valid. Therefore, if you have experienced hail damage you should address it quickly in order to ensure your claim will be covered.
Call Bluebird Roofing (615-758-9101) with any questions regarding storm damage to your roof and we will assist you with your claim with your insurance company.
What to consider when choosing a Roofing Company for installing a new roof, or making repairs.
- Look for an established, licensed or bonded roofer and request references. Remember that no all jurisdiction require licensing of Roofing Companies
- Ask to see certificates of insurance to be sure both liability and workers compensation insurance coverage is carried and are in force during the time the roofing work is being done
- Insist on a detailed, written estimate clearly stating the quantity of materials needed (labor charges, work specifications) which include approximate starting and completion dates, payment procedures and that any necessary building permits are secured.
- Carefully review and understand any warranty and watch for conditions that would void it.
- Use caution (ask questions) before accepting a bid substantially lower than other bids covering the same repair work.
- Contract your local Better Business Bureau to check for complaints filed against the contractor.
GET IN TOUCH
Your roof is the first level of defense against the elements: rain, snow, rain, sleet, hail. And...
You won’t be surprised to learn that many of the roofing jobs, gutter repairs, and siding...
In the articles we’ve written, we’ve told you all about what can go wrong with a roof that causes...